Call for Papers
3–5 July 2015
The Ioannou Centre for Classical and Byzantine Studies, University of Oxford
The organizing committee of the conference ‘William of Malmesbury and his Legacy’ invites paper proposals from prospective speakers. This three-day conference, supported by Oxford’s Faculties of History, English and Classics and The Oxford Research Centre for Humanities (TORCH), is timed to coincide with the completion of Michael Winterbottom’s and Rodney Thomson’s edition of William of Malmesbury’s Miracles of the Virgin. When this volume is printed, all works of William will have been published in modern scholarly editions—a momentous occasion which our conference intends to celebrate. In bringing together scholars working on all aspects of William’s works, the goal of the conference is twofold: 1) to review and reflect on existing scholarship, and 2) to encourage further research on one of the most important authors of twelfth-century Europe.
Keynote lectures will be given by Rod Thomson, Michael Winterbottom and John Ward.
The conference welcomes papers on a range of topics, including but not limited to:
- making sense of William’s oeuvre as a whole
- thematic studies of the works of William and his contemporaries
- William as an individual; a historian; a hagiographer; a biblical commentator; a literary artist
- William and his sources: information, preservation, revision
- William and early twelfth-century politics and patronage
- manuscripts of William’s works: text and transmission
- connections and dialogues among twelfth-century historians
- William in his English and continental contexts
- the future of William’s oeuvre in Anglo-Norman scholarship and beyond
- William of Malmesbury: medieval and modern
Prospective speakers are invited to submit abstracts of 200–300 words. Submissions should include name, affiliation and durable contact details. The deadline for submissions is 1 December 2014. For more information about the conference, to join the conference mailing list or to submit an abstract, please email the committee at: email@example.com.
Organizing committee: Rod Thomson, Ilya Afanasyev and Emily Winkler