Humanities and Healthcare: Information, Networking, Support
Please join the ‘Humanities and Healthcare’ team for an information, networking and support event in Oxford on 12 June, aimed at supporting early career and established researchers.
Why Humanities and Healthcare?
‘Medical Humanities’ has become an increasingly established discipline since the 1990s and there is now growing recognition of the insights which the humanities can bring to modern healthcare issues beyond medicine. But some in the humanities are not yet confident about the value their work can add to addressing healthcare challenges, and not sure how to work with medical and health disciplines and colleagues. Equally, healthcare and medical science researchers and practitioners may not have the opportunity to consider the benefits of working with humanities colleagues or to connect with potential collaborators.
What will the meeting cover?
This meeting will bring together colleagues from humanities disciplines and various areas of healthcare and medical sciences to explore the benefits, opportunities and practicalities of collaboration. The event is intended for those at all stages of their career. During the meeting:
- Senior researchers, including Prof Sally Shuttleworth, Prof Peter Friend and Prof Joshua Hordern and others will share their experience of collaboration
- Professor Chas Bountra, Vice Chancellor for Innovation, will talk to the potential for innovation across humanities and healthcare
- Colleagues will share information about internal funding opportunities and give pointers to further information and advice, including input from Prof Matthew Freeman who will provide insights into the Wellcome Institutional Strategic Support Fund (ISSF)
- A networking lunch and tea will provide the opportunity to meet and connect with colleagues
- The afternoon will finish with an optional Advice Surgery, aimed particularly at early career researchers (ECRs). The surgery will focus on identifying funding opportunities, building research bids, and planning policy engagement activities.
Location, agenda, registration
The meeting will be held in the Warrington Room at Harris Manchester College, Mansfield Road, Oxford.
1.00-1.45pm Networking lunch
1.45-4.00pm Presentations, discussion and next steps (with brief tea break)
4.00-5.00pm Tea and ‘advice surgery’ for ECRs and other interested colleagues
Please register for the event using the Eventbrite link. For queries about the meeting, please contact Louie Fooks at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Humanities and Healthcare team
The meeting is organised by the Humanities and Healthcare team, funded by Wellcome Trust ISSF and the Higher Education Innovation Fund to strengthen collaboration, research and policy engagement around humanities and healthcare. It will provide an opportunity to explore the benefits, opportunities and barriers to collaboration with colleagues and to identify further support, training and information needs.
We look forward to welcoming colleagues in June and to building the humanities and healthcare community across the university.
Professor Joshua Hordern, Dr Sally Frampton, Louie Fooks, Bianca Blum
Humanities and Healthcare team