TORCH, in partnership with Javett-UP (The Javett Art Centre at the University of Pretoria, South Africa) is offering Oxford University based researchers a funded Visiting Fellowship at Javett-UP for July/August 2020 to pursue a research project that engages with the aims of Javett-UP.
Javett-UP is an exhibition space that is deeply committed to working with communities to explore cultural exchange and encourage creativity in disciplinary and transdisciplinary domains. Besides the permanent collections, which include the Javett family’s collection of 20th century South African art, the centre hosts visiting local and international exhibitions which represent the wide breadth, range and depth of the art of Africa.
For more information about the Javett Art Centre please see their website.
The successful Javett-UP Art of Africa Fellow will:
- undertake research on a topic accordant with the aims of the Javett-UP
- engage with the material and intellectual resources of the Javett-UP
- contribute to the programming of the Javett-UP through talks and other events aligned in part to the School of the Arts in the Faculty of Humanities’ public humanities programme
- develop or enhance collaborative relationships with colleagues in Pretoria and elsewhere in South Africa
- plan and execute TORCH/Javett-UP events in the UK following the Fellowship
The Fellowship will provide:
- One 4-8 week Visiting Fellowship at Javett-UP between June and September, 2020.
- Up to £5000 travel bursary to cover all travel, accommodation, and living expenses during the Fellowship.
- Up to £4500 to support TORCH/Javett-UP Art of Africa Fellowship Programme events in Oxford and London following the Fellowship. These events will be arranged in association with a reputable academic or visual arts institute in Oxford and London. The events will include collaboration with a member of the Javett-UP team, and at least one partner currently resident within Africa. Logistical support for these events will be provided by TORCH.
- Demonstrable research interest in the aims of Javett-UP
- Early career researcher, (up to 10 years post PhD) or final year doctoral student
- Ability to acquire appropriate visa
Applicants to apply through the IRAMS system, including a Case for Support form.
The deadline is: Friday 03 April, 2020